Friday, October 10, 2014

NOT EXACTLY A THRILL A MINUTE


Sitting at the front desk and greeting people who walk in the door is just that.  But it has had its moments in the run-up to this week’s deadline for voter registration and getting on the Permanent Early Voter List.

Most of the time the forms are brought to me in batches, and the end result was certainly fabulous.  On the morning after the deadline I delivered to the County Recorder’s Office registration forms for 569 new voters and signed cards for 409 current voters to be added to the Permanent Early Voters List.

But this week there are examples that stand out.  One was a man who was brought to the office, Voter Registration form in hand, by his father-in-law.  In checking the form I saw that his birthplace was Oaxaca, Mexico.  Well, when I told him that I’d been there –probably before he was born—his eyes lit up.  We talked about the hotel on the town square where I stayed about 40 years ago, and the charreada (rodeo) that I attended. 

The other was a wonderful woman of a certain age who I met at a fund-raising party.  She wanted more than just yard signs.  Her problem is a woman with whom she plays cards every week, and who can't stop talking about her favorite Republican candidate for the State House of Representatives.

"I want to wear a T-shirt with Dr. Eric Meyer's name on it and sit across from her for the entire evening with her constantly looking at his name."

Done!!

Closer to home was what happened at 6:30 the other morning when I was getting into my car to go the gym.  A lady out walking her two dogs asked if I was the one who had left a message on her home phone asking about yard signs. 


“Yes,” she said.  “Gimme whatcha got,” was her request.

No comments: