Thursday, October 18, 2012

ALL POLITICS IS LOCAL...

Or so they say.  Here's a photo of a neighborhood meeting on a recent Sunday to express opinions and concerns to Dr. Eric Meyer, running for re-election to the AZ House of Representatives, as Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton listens attentively.
Organize this.  A lady in Sun Lakes complained to me this summer that she's the only Democrat in her entire subdivision.  She felt that there was no hope in getting any of our Democratic candidates elected.

"Not true," I said.  Then I told her that I had just pulled up a list of 833 Democrats in the subdivision --some 25 percent.  I could almost hear the phone hitting the ground as it fell from her grasp!  Next I asked her this: "If I can get you that list, and a Neighborhood Team Leader to train you, will you be willing to knock on the doors or make phone calls to friendly party faithful in your neighborhood?

That conversation, or something similar, is how I spend my days.  I greet people who come in to register to vote.  I call people who have written letters to the editor.  I answer questions from people who call the office.

And once the questions are answered, it's some variation of "and now what are you going to do to help us turn Arizona BLUE?"  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aside from calling you, is there a way for Democrats around the city to find out how many of their like-minded brethren live nearby?