Monday, October 22, 2012

WEEKEND UPDATE -Gym Buddies



In order to recruit more volunteers in non-conventional means I’ve been wearing political T-shirts on my regular morning visits to the gym.  It’s either a white Penzone one for The New Sheriff, or a purple one that says “Next Stop BLUE. “

Last week I approached two long-time regulars.  The first one I had never had any exchange with over the years.  Nothing but an occasional nod.  But he almost always wears an Army T-shirt, so I used this as an opener.  We talked about various candidates, about his recent retirement from the Reserves.  I thanked him for his service, but it turned out that he was more concerned about voter fraud, and said that the voter rolls needed to be purged. 

“That’s what those of us in the Tea Party feel is the greatest threat to our democracy.”

When pressed for real cases of voter fraud he pointed out that his parents, who have been dead for five years, are still listed on the voter rolls.

“Has anyone used their names to vote,” I asked.  And he said that no one had.

“So what’s the fraud?” I asked.  “It sounds like perhaps poor management at the local elections office, if they’ve been notified.”  And at that we parted ways.

More distressing was a chat with a gym buddy with whom I always have friendly discussions.  He knows that I’m an organizer for the Democratic Party.  Although he says that he’s an Independent, he has always expressed friendly interest. 

This time he wanted to tell me that he had voted early, which is a good thing, but not  to re-elect The President.  He insisted on telling me why:  He promised that he would do something about illegal immigration and he hasn’t.

The revealing part was his further explanation –even though I didn’t ask. 


He said that he still lives in the same house in midtown Phoenix for 60+ years.  And “everyone in the neighborhood is an illegal immigrant.”   There’s no way to convince him that just because people speak Spanish, and have dark skin, that they are undocumented.  With that level of profiling so evident, I decided to drop the conversation.  

No comments: