Tuesday, October 30, 2012

NEW CITIZEN / NEW VOTER




This really made my day --and the day had just begun.  In walked a man wanting to confirm that he is a registered voter.  He's a Russian from Uzbekistan --even knows my barber, Ilya, who also is.  As with others, he'd been given a runaround on the phone trying to find out his status.He and I were both thrilled when I found him in the computer.  He dashed off to vote early, but as he did I got a commitment from him to help us with Get Out The Vote.  "I shall," he said, "just like I did for Obama 4 years ago even though I wasn't a citizen."

Whew!  Does it get any better?!





A FACE MADE FOR RADIO: I'm no Charles Osgood, but "look for me on the radio," as my long-time favorite on CBS says every Sunday morning, is now my phrase as well.
It seems that the AZ Democratic Party got a request from the local NPR station that's doing a story on senior citizens and the election.
#3 Son, Mark, who's doing research here, put my name in the hat, and after clearance from the Party's Communications Director and a couple of phone calls, in walks Nick Blumberg of KJZZ with microphone in hand, wanting to get "the senior-citizen perspective" on the election.
It sure was strange --being on this side of the mike-- as I cut my eye-teeth on radio news, what seems like 100 years ago.  Actually, it was only half that.
And a thrill it was.  Check it out at http://kjzz.org and http://fronterasdesk.org.

NEWS FLASH FROM ELECTION CENTRAL:  Susan tracked down yet another letter-writer to our friendly, neighborhood newspaper.  He appeared, from the tone of the letter, to be a good Democrat.  And he is.  He lives in a gated community in Central Phoenix, with 103 voters, and he has 3 yard signs for our candidates at his door.  But he figured that he and his wife are the only Dems in the complex.

Of course I had that same conversation last month with 2 of his neighbors who I had dinner with.

A quick check of the county's voter rolls showed that not only where they both wrong, but that of the 103 voters, 55 are Dems or Independents.

Now both couples have been enlisted to call on their neighbors in order to help turn AZ BLUE.

And a new Obama yard sign has been planted.


No comments: