Wednesday, October 31, 2012

TRUTH OR TRAP?


YES, I can be flip, sarcastic and glib.  And all of us in the campaign have been warned about the possibility that our conversations can and may be recorded by opposition plants.   This had happened to me decades ago in the corporate world, when my strong remarks on the phone to a caller asking about the competition ended up being played a week later to the FCC.

So you’ll forgive me for being cautious when I received a call from a Phoenix resident stuck on the East Coast who wanted to vote here at home.  She had gone there to say goodbye to her daughter in the service who is being deployed overseas, and was staying with her family.

She said that she had thought of changing her registration to her hometown, but acted a day too late.  Wasn’t there something that I could do to enable her to vote and thus support her daughter’s role in defending the country?

Frankly, there was not a single legitimate thing that I could think of.

Yes, there were a couple of illegitimate things that later came to my mind.  But I couldn’t have someone go, as her, to an early-voting office and cast her vote. Nor I could I have someone get a vote-by-mail ballot and send it to her.

Not only couldn’t I do these things, I could just see the headlines if I even mentioned them as not being possible.  Think of what some fancy editing could do.  Does the name Andrew Breitbart ring a bell?

So to this legitimate mother of a military daughter: I appreciate her service.  I appreciate your sacrifice.  But I cannot be responsible for your not voting.  And if you, dear caller, were trying to trap me, shame on you.  This isn’t my first rodeo!

No comments: